Bruce,

What is the firmware version of your KPA1500?  2.48 is the latest.  There
was also a change in version 2.38, almost a year ago, that could fix the
issue for you:

02.38 11/4/2019 (Production 12/3/2019)
⦁ Switch to STBY if BAND CHANGE->STBY is enabled and the frequency (from
XCVR or TX count) is below the amp's frequency range
⦁ Wait longer after band change to inform K3 that KPA1500 has switched to
STBY when BANDCHANGE->STBY is YES

73,
Bob, N6TV