I posted various solutions to the K3 element shortening issue about 7 years
ago. See this link on my QRZ.COM page <https://qrz.com/db/n6tv>:

   - How to get clean fast CW from an Elecraft K3 without using CW QRQ mode
   <http://lists.f5mzn.org/pipermail/support/2013-November/083384.html> (post
   to Win-Test Reflector, November 14th, 2013)

This was before the KSYN3A upgrades, which only helped the keying problem a
little.  Element shortening is still there, and bad CW jitter is still
present in the K3 + KSYN3A at speeds above 37 WPM with external keying.
The internal K3 keyer sounds fine (it compensates), but external keying is
a problem.  With VOX ON (QSK or semi-breakin), no PTT input, all keying
elements are shorted by the TX DLY.  The default TX DLY nor 008 is really
closer to 6 ms delay, after you get the KSYN3A upgrade, hence 6 ms of
keying compensation required.  A high TX DLY for a slow amp. relay makes
the problem much worse.  Keying Compensation is unfortunately not available
in N1MM+ when using the convenient DTR and RTS CW keying over the K3 serial
port or the K3S USB cable (CONFIG:PTT-KEY RTS-TR), but it should be added
IMHO.  This feature is already available in Win-Test.

More details and other fixes (e.g. use software generated PTT, no keying
compensation) are found in that post above.

The K4 has NO CW jitter problems that I've found, but element shortening by
TX DLY is still present, and I've filed bug reports about it, but it's not
at the top of their list yet.

73,
Bob, N6TV
K4 Field Tester