On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 6:05 PM NJMike <mikekopa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> One thing is the connection from my laptop to the K3S.  The laptop has 2
> USB
> ports.  One USB port is used with a wireless keyboard.  The other USB port
> is connected to a 4-port hub.  From the hub, one port goes to a Winkeyer.
> Another port on the hub has the USB connector for a mouse.
>
> I don't think I will need the Winkeyer with the K3S.  (Can someone confirm
> this?).

The K3S has a built in keyer for your paddle.  And, as K8TE mentioned, you
can also key computer-generated CW and PTT from many (but not all) logging
programs, using the CONFIG:PTT-KEY menu in the K3S to enable CW and PTT
keying over the USB cable's virtual "DTR" and "RTS" pins.  No WinKey
required.

This is covered in great detail in this presentation, linked from my
qrz.com page <https://www.qrz.com/db/N6TV>.

Everything You Need to Know About USB and Serial Interfaces
<https://bit.ly/USBserial2020>, presented at 2020 Dayton CTU via Zoom

   - Watch YouTube recording of this presentation here
   <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEEUpsWUtAA&feature=youtu.be&t=8127>.

If you're using N3FJP, my S-BOX-USB <https://bit.ly/S-BOX> can provide the
second serial port it requires to key CW and PTT via RTS and DTR, merging
these lines into the lone serial port on the K3 or K3S RS232 cable, or
keying via the KEY and PTT jacks with additional cables.

I assume I could still use the hub and now use a USB to USB mini cable to
> connect to the K3S.

There is no "USB mini" connector on the K3S.  It's a standard USB Type B
(square) connector.  These connectors are also illustrated in the
presentation referenced above; see Slide 6.

> The laptop also has a mini HDMI port.  Could I use a micro HDMI to mini
> USB to control the K3S?

Sorry, the mini HDMI to mini USB adapter does not produce a virtual serial
port.  It provides an HDMI monitor port.  Any USB to HDMI adapters you'll
find on the web are there to convert the USB port on a PC (type A) to HDMI
monitor ports, so you can connect an HDMI monitor if your PC has no HDMI
ports.  But you can't plug those adapters into a K3S (wrong connector).

Just connect a common USB Type A to USB Type B cable from your USB hub to
the K3S, and you'll be in business with both logging software and
(potentially) computer-generated CW and PTT.  Now, if you also want
computer-generated FSK RTTY keying, you can use a device like my S-BOX to
add that capability.   FSK RTTY keying is through the 15-pin ACC connector
of the K3S, which can't be connected directly to a computer.

NEVER plug a VGA cable or a VGA adapter into the K3's ACC connector; it's
the same physical connector type (DE-15F), but it is NOT a VGA monitor
port, and trying to connect a monitor cable there could cause damage.
Never do it.

My other offering, the Y-BOX, is useful if you need to connect multiple
devices to the K3 ACC port, or need a breakout box.  Such devices include
the Mortty FSK keyer, or a microHAM device, or RemoteRig box, in addition
to Elecraft devices like the KAT500/KPA500 and KPA1500, or a band decoder /
automatic antenna switch.

73,
Bob, N6TV
https://bit.ly/S-BOX