Well, perseverance pays, sometimes.I realize this mic probably came from China,
but...
the connections to the end of the cable, in the mic housing, weren't well
handled.
The connection of the black wire to the shield was made so near the end of the
outer jacket that overheating other wires was very likely.
When all reheating had failed I had nothing to lose, so cut back the cable
jacket a half inch or so and, What Ho!
There  was a tiny holiday in the insulation of the yellow wire, the hot audio
downstream of the white wire from the element.
Naturally, the open spot attracted the strands of the cable shield and they
eventually made contact with the conductor in the yellow wire!
Could I have nicked the yellow wire? Of course, but the fact is the mic didn't
work before and now does.
I've done nothing but separate the wires, as they come out of the cable, so I'm
sticking to my guns and blaming the loss of a couple of hours of my precious
time on careless work terminating the cable in the housing.
There really is no free lunch and sometimes we have to get to the bottom of
things to know the truth.
Reminds me of when I found the filaments of a pair of 813s wired in series
rather than in parallel!
Or the time I found a 2500V power supply in a HB linear hooked up BACKWARD.
Why those builders stopped at those crucial times I'll never know, but both
amps are decently built and are now on the air.
73,
Wilson
W4BOH