Alan,

That places you in my chronological age range - yes, I have my 50 year
pin from ARRL too!

I believe you are referring to "Ultimatic" keying - the paddle that was
last operated is the one that takes precedence - none of the "idiotic"
alternating dots and dashes (which to me is confusing).
Yes, I have tried to use Iambic, and have never been successful - I
resort to
'slap keying' and/or a single lever paddle.  Ultimatic was the first
keying method introduced with the Ultimatic Keyer (a vacuum tube
design), and it is a puzzle to me why it has not been continued -
perhaps the Curtis chip popularization of Iambic ruined the best keying
method available - not to mention the adoption of the Iambic B mode
which adds an opposite element at the end of a character - initially
that was a mistake by the Curtic designers. but they successfully sold
it as an "enhancement".

There is a cure.  Take a look at the K12 keyer by K1EL which supports
Ultimatic mode.  Alternately, there was a fellow on the Elecaft
reflector (about 6 months ago - maybe longer, my memory gets compressed
with age) who developed both a logic gate and a pic implementation of an
Ultimastic to Iambic converter.  I have the parts on a perfboard for
that, but have not yet finished it.  Look in the archives because I have
forgotten who it was that produced the design.

BTW - I have lobbied Elecraft for inclusion of Ultimatic keying support
for the K2 and the K3, but all I have gotten so far is a "maybe" - I
guess Wayne is occupied with more important things to do than support us
few "old farts" who remember and liked the Ultimatic keyer".

73,
Don W3FPR