thanks to all who have responded; I've tried most (or more) of the suggestions given. To reply specifically to the points raised:

- platform is a fresh install of LCNC version 2.8.2. At this point, I'm just using halcmd to exercise the various pieces of this puzzle. Hardware interface is an external RS-232 to RS-48S adapter (4-wire, full duplex). HAL interface is mitsub_vfd.py, with a couple of debug tweaks to show the complete interchange with the drive (as shown in original post).

- scaling value is set at default value of 1.0. The hex values for requested speeds shown in the original post correspond to the values in the VFD manual examples.

- operation mode (param. 79) set to 1 (to quote the manual: 'digital setting by key operation of the control panel or parameter unit'). The parameter unit (with functional speed control) plugs into the RJ45 socket used for RS485 communication. I have to assume the param. unit generates RS485 data; there are not enough pins to provide some sort of 'back-channel' speed command data.

-the 3450 test motor runs at ~900 rpm, equivalent to 15 HZ, which is minimum frequency value set in the VFD (parameter 2).

the adventure continues- I'll be away for a few days, hopefully inspiration will appear!

thanks again

-ldw