Hi,

I've found a related post in this mailing list in the past but it doesn't
completely clear my confusion:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=1321634

I have a desktop and a laptop that I would like to sync (my home dir which
is ~8 gb large) using an ssh-accessible server.  I only want my files to
appear on the server in encrypted form.  I am considering some different
options and am hoping someone with some familiarity with encfs can tell me
which one makes more sense.

First just to clarify I am somewhat hesitant to store my data directly on
an encfs mount since I want to be able to check what's happening before it
gets synced.  Also I'm worried that if all my data is in encfs then if I
ever login and forget to mount it some programs will freak out, etc...

option 1:

Mount the server via sshfs and then setup Encfs with the encrtyped
directory on server and the unencrypted directory mounted on the local
filesystem:

encfs /server/.encfs  ~/sync

I would then use unison to synchronize ~/sync with the data I want to sync
(e.g. ~/Documents).

If I understand correctly this approach does not take any additional space
on my machines because ~/sync is just a mount-point for the data in
/server/.encfs.  The problem with this approach is that unison has to scan
over all of ~/sync to compare it to ~/Documents and the former is a remote
directory so this might be very slow (i.e. you lose the benefit of unison
which is having it running on the remove machine).

option 2:

As above but now all directories are local.  So I create a ~/.encfs, a
~/sync and a ~/Documents and then use unison to first sync ~/Documents and
~/sync and then to sync my ~/.encfs between my desktop and laptop via the
server.  The reason to do this is that i can check what is being synced
between ~/Documents and ~/sync and avoid any issues this way.

The main disadvantage of this approach is that my data has to be stored
twice ... once in ~/.encfs and once in ~/Documents.  If I understand
correctly the data in ~/sync is just a "virtual copy" reflecting what's in
~/.encfs and doesn't take any more space, correct?

option 3:

A final option would just be to have no intermediate directories but just
run:

encfs ~/.encfs ~/Documents

and then just sync ~/.encfs via unison over ssh.  But this kinda freaks me
out because then my data is really living in ~/.encfs and if e.g. unison
borks up ~/.encfs when syncing it or something else then I could lose my
data.

Any suggestions on which of these approaches might work or if there's a
better way to go.  I haven't seen too much reference to unison + encfs and
that also worries me a little.  Since this is all my data we're talking
about I'd like the solution to be tried and tested.

Could anyone even just comment on how well unison and encfs work together?

thanks