(re-ordering slightly for flow)

On Tue, 2019-07-02 at 22:15 -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
> The term "MIT license" is ambiguous -- it stands for either the X11
> license or the Expat license.  You can tell which by looking at the
> actual license text in the source and comparing with those two
> entries
> in https://gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html.

In FSF terms, it's the Expat licence.

> The source pointers are needed because these pages contain compiled
> code.  (More precisely, minified -- but that is a kind of
> compilation.)  It is ok to use minified code, but it needs to come
> with the corresponding source code.

Luckily, the full and corresponding source code is available. I think,
however, what you're asking is for is a pointer in a format that is
machine readable by LibreJS.

> It is possible to fix the problem by adding a machine-recognizable
> license notice for the appropriate license at the top of the
> pertinent
> pages, plus a source code pointer for each page.  See
> https://gnu.org/software/librejs/free-your-javascript.html for
> documentation.

I had a look at that, it seems that the implementation of Web Labels
table:
a) doesn't support wildcarding or regexes
b) requires a physical link to be added to every page rather than
fetching from a known location.

Given that we are keen to avoid divergence from upstream, at a minimum
I would want to see the above added to LibreJS before we can reliably
produce a Web Label table. Do you know if there's plans to add this
functionality?

Neil
--
Neil McGovern
Executive Director, The GNOME Foundation