Now, I am all for getting off topic, as I feel this discussion has spawned some
really great information.   I think it helps seeing how other universities and
institutions handle this.  An update on the reason for my initial question, I
did locate the offending laptop and blocked it from our guest wireless. We will
be doing more to monitor things using the tools we have. I think a huge issue
with dealing with P2P is that politics and upper level policies can become a
problem. In this instance I blocked the offending system and then asked
questions, which, this time around, seems to be an acceptable process. We do
not get hit too badly with students trying to do P2P, but like some have said,
it is tough walking the line between aggressively pursuing P2P and allowing
educational freedom. We have avoided NAC due to the added work load, which may
not be as bad as we fear, but we can barely keep up with what we have right
now. We are, for the short term, going to look at leveraging Dragon IPS to try
and locate any P2P, but I can see a NAC implementation happening next summer
possibly. As the student population is ever increasing, so will the need to
keep a better eye on things.

A little off track, but in the same realm sort of, the podcast below starts off
talking about BYOD and delves into the discussion of policy and IT. Given this
discussion, I thought some of you may find it interesting.

http://packetpushers.net/show-111-byod-isnt-technology-problem-its-a-management-issue/

Patrick Printz
Network Infrastructure

Quinsigamond Community College
670 West Boylston Street
Worcester, MA 01606-2092
w. 508-854-7517
c. 508-726-9529

"If a man is called a street sweeper, he should sweep streets even as
Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote
poetry.  He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and Earth
will pause to say, Here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well."
~Martin Luther King, Jr.