On Thu, Sep 21, 2023, at 9:43 PM, Bassett Jr,Roland L via ESS-help wrote:
>   2.  Different topic, but how can I duplicate the functionality of the
> "_" key to insert "<-" instead of just "_"?

That feature is now called `ess-insert-assign`, and you need to bind it to the
`_` key yourself. From the example in the manual:

  (define-key ess-r-mode-map "_" #'ess-insert-assign)
  (define-key inferior-ess-r-mode-map "_" #'ess-insert-assign)

I think this is only documented on the *New Features* page of the manual now,
which I never think to check when I'm looking for things.

- ty