Yes, that is the designed behavior.  A transcript is the history of a previous
session.  Normally you
would not want to change it.

What you might want to do is open a new .r file and copy the source code from
the transcript into
the new file.  Pick up the entire section of transcript (input with prompts,
and output) and then
paste it into a new .r buffer with the command C-u C-u C-y for
‘ess-yank-cleaned-commands’.

pick up three lines from oldfile.rout or from *R*
> 5 + 4
[1] 9

and paste them with C-u C-u C-y into file tmp.r or, perhaps directly into *R*
5 + 4

Note that all prompts and responses have been removed.

And in the rare case that you actually want to edit history, you can
always use C-x C-q to toggle read-only mode.

Rich