On Thu, Feb 15, 2024 at 04:19:43PM +0000, Sparapani, Rodney via ESS-help wrote:
> Hi Gang:
>
> We just tidied up a recent insidious bug.  No other changes.
>
> Version 24.1.1 of package ESS has just been released in GNU ELPA.
> You can now find it in M-x list-packages RET.

I have  just installed ESS-24.01.1,  and it  appears to be  working.  At
least, when I run an older program, I get the desired results.  But I do
get  an error  message  in starting  R.  It  appears  only briefly,  and
disappears immediately when I try to cut it out with cut-and-paste using
the mouse.

The error message is:

Error: could not find function \".ess.ESSR.load\"

Emacs  appears to  be  looking  for this  strangely  names  file in  the
directory,

/usr/share/emacs/etc/ess/ESSR/R

where it clearly  is not to be  found.  Nor can I find  any reference to
such a function in the source directory, /usr/src/ESS-24.01.1/etc/ESSR/R

Can anybody suggest the cause?

Cheers,

M. Dowling
--