Dex, nice research !  (-:

A few comments: some details of what you found (and others commented
on) may depend on the intelligence built into the on-board disk controller
(re-mapping bad sectors, buffering I/O, ...)

 - The default bs=512 matches a 'sector' (floppy disk, MBR) and also
should remain for backward compatibility of older custom scripts (or
custom scripts *should be* specific regarding defaults, (hmm, myself ...).

 - in case you are considering writing to the author of 'dd', please add
this on my behalf: The reported transferred data should not just be 'n+1
records in/out' but 'n blocks + xyz bytes in/out'  -- the prog knows 'xyx'
(so that's easy to implement), and such output would provide the user with
exact information w/o further doubts)

 - Horst