Here's a video clip of a Tesla driver trying out a version of Tesla's
advanced autopilot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uClWlVCwHsI

He makes 9 attempts at a left turn with oncoming traffic.  If my count is
correct, 4 tries are successful.  In the other 5 he has to intervene to
prevent a possible or likely collision.  That's only a 44.4% success rate.

Coiuld it be that the driver is just asking too much of the system?  I see
something about it being a beta version.  Is Tesla actually putting buggy
beta-test systems like this in cars that they're selling to the public?
That seems quite risky.

One other thing that bothers me is that when the Tesla is stopped, waiting
to make a left turn, its front wheels are already turned to the left.

Wrong!  If I'd done that in high school driver's ed, my teacher would have
given me an F for that day.  All it would take is a bump from the rear to
push the Tesla right into oncoming traffic.  That too seems like a less than
optimal choice.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     I have three rules to live by. One, get your work done. If
     that doesn't work, shut up and drink your gin. And when all
     else fails, run like hell.

                                                 -- Ray Bradbury