I don't know whether Genesis batteries have changed since the Hawker days,
but in cyclic use Hawker used to recommend constant voltage charging at 14.7
to 15 volts, with an optional float stage following at 13.65v.

Those voltages were at 25 deg C and were meant to be adjusted for
temperature at 18mv per deg C.

http://evdl.org/docs/hawker4e.pdf

So unless you're charging at -30 deg C ( -22 deg F), I would say that 16
volts is too high.

I see no percentage in speculating on what, if anything, may have gone wrong
with the charger.  Maybe it was just designed poorly.  Get in there and do
some checking, or junk it and get one that you know works right.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was
     because they managed to spend less money. A man who could afford
     fifty dollar boots had a pair that'd still be keeping his feet
     dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford
     cheap [ten dollar] boots would have spent a hundred dollars on
     boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

                          -- Terry Pratchett, "Men at Arms: The Play"