On 9 Jul 2021 at 0:21, Peri Hartman via EV wrote:

> As little as 12 percent of the energy from a carĀ“s gasoline fuel goes
> toward making it move.

I've seen this number cited a few times before.  I would have guessed
something closer to 15-18%, but given our penchant here in the US for 2+ ton
monster trucks with gigantic engines, 12% might be about right.

Just for kicks, below is a link to a paper from 2011 which evaluates a
highly fuel efficient conventional ICEV then available in Europe, a Diesel
VW Lupo (rated 78mpg).  It concluded that the Lupo captured about 28% of the
energy in the fuel.

http://sites.science.oregonstate.edu/~giebultt/COURSES/ph313/ppt/carefficienc
y.pdf

And that's about as good as it gets for ICEVs.

> By contrast, battery electric vehicles are between 60 and 100 percent
> efficient.

Uh ... no.  While EVs are unquestionably a LOT more efficient than ICEVs,
I'm pretty sure that the upper limit of their efficiency range is less than
100 percent.

There's some good info in this piece, but I don't think the article's
author, Sarah Kaplan, helped make her case with that obviously implausible
statement.  It kind of knocks her credibility all askew.  So it goes in
"journalism," unfortunately.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my