On 31 Jul 2021 at 9:12, clarke2 via EV wrote:

> not there

The link works for me.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/snw/d/poulsbo-corbin-
sparrow/7357972484.html

Or since that URL will probably split, try https://v.gd/yoraxA

That's a sweet looking bird!

I wish you luck with this sale.  These days, used EVs of all kinds except
Teslas seem to sell for a fraction of their original prices, possibly
because their new equivalents are so much more capable.

 I thought that Sparrow was a brilliant idea back around 1994-5 when Tom
Corbin first started working on the early prototypes.  They evaded FMVSS by
being a motorcycle, reducing development costs, and they offered salable
instant access to Califonia's HOV lanes.  (Also, I have a soft spot for
tiny, efficient vehicles, but that's just me.)

Your Sparrows are gorgeous examples of the breed.  The problem I see is that
the vehicle's' characteristics limit the set of potential buyers.

1. Low range.  As with a conversion, and most old modern-production EVs,
this shuts out buyers with long commutes.

2. No dealers or mechanics.  This eliminates buyers who can't or don't want
to work on their own cars.  Here a Sparrow has it even worse than a
conversion, because at least with a conversion a neighborhood mechanic can
work on brakes and suspension.

3. Limited creature comforts and a spartan interior.

4. No passengers.  In any other car, or even on a conventional motorcycle
(ICE or EV), you can share your ride with at least one passenger.  How do
you show off your new car when you can't take your friends and family for
rides?

I hate to say it, but from the standpoint of practical EV transportation, a
$5,000 clapped-out 10-year-old Nissan Leaf has it all over this little guy.

On the upside, the Sparrow has way more character than a Leaf. :-)

Conversions are nigh onto worthless.  In the past year I've sold 2 of them,
admittedly old and not in great shape, for about 3% of what I had invested
in them.  ("Save 97%!")

OTOH, the Citicar and Comuta-Car - which share all of the above limitations
except that they can accept a passenger - have developed a surprisingly
enthusiastic following in recent years.  I've seen C-cars selling in the $3-
5k range lately (I paid $800 for a 1980 C-car in 1988).

So if there's an equivalent following for Sparrows, you might indeed have
more buyers with more cash for this one.

Maybe not at $18k, though.  I see online value estimates for 2000 Sparrow
pizzabacks at around $6.5k.  Your complete car may be worth that or more,
depending on what shape the CALB battery is in.  The extra one, I don't
know.

At any rate, again, good luck.  Keep us posted.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     A great many people think they are thinking when they are
     really rearranging their prejudices.

                                            -- Edward R Murrow