Many of the GE Elec-Trak electric lawn tractors from the 1970s are still
around and doing yeoman duty.  Buying a clean used one should cost MUCH less
than $3000.  Recently an acquaintance of mine from around here sold his ER8-
36 small electric rider mower for $500 on EBAY.  All it needed was new
batteries.

The models to look for are probably the smaller, simpler ones:

GE ER8-36 / Wheel Horse A-65 / New Idea R36
Wheel Horse E-60, E-81
GE E8 / New Idea EGT80
GE E10 . New Idea EGT100

The larger models will also serve (the E15 seems to be the most common):

GE E12 / E12M / New Idea EGT-120
GE E14 / Wheel Horse B-145
GE E15 / New Idea EGT-150
GE E16
GE E20 / Wheel Horse C-185 / New Idea EGT-200
GE I5

If you're not in too much of a hurry, I suggest joining the Elec-Trak
discussion list, and watching for someone to put one up for sale.

cosmos.phy.tufts.edu/mailman/listinfo/elec-trak

I got an invalid certificate warning on that website just now.  It seems OK,
but I'll ask on the list today.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my