On 19 Aug 2021 at 8:31, jim--- via EV wrote:

> Here's a link to the article if you can read it....
>
> https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2021-08-10/hydrogen-highway-or-highway-
> to-nowhere

The article didn't seem to be paywalled.  It's quoted below for anyone
having trouble.  If you live in the LA area, please subscribe to the
newspaper.

I have to say that the piece reads like the early, highly pessimistic media
pieces on EVs.  However, it's hard to argue with its general thesis.

I wasn't surprised at all the H2 driver complaints.  Early EV adopters
griped the same way about public charging problems.  Some still do.

It would be interesting to see how much driving on H2 would make up for the
amount of fuel used and carbon released in flatbed-towing an empty, stranded
FCEV to a filling station.

For me the real eye-opener in this piece was that California's "green" H2
that we recently praised here on the list isn't made by electrolysis.  It's
made from natural gas, and the refiners are using purchased carbon credits
to "greenwash" it.

====

Is California´s `Hydrogen Highway´ a road to nowhere?

[Photo omitted + caption: True Zero is opening more hydrogen stations,
including this one in Orange County´s Aliso Viejo that began operating in
June. (Carolyn Cole / Los Angeles Times)]

By EVAN HALPER | LOS ANGELES TIMES EXCLUSIVE
Photography by Carolyn Cole / Videography by Jackeline Luna

Carolyn Cole
Aug. 10, 2021 3 AM PT

Soon after Maribel Munoz joined the trailblazing ranks of American owners of
hydrogen cars - a group that exists only in California - she began to fear
that the low price of the taxpayer-subsidized Toyota Mirai she purchased
came with a tremendous cost.  "You can´t have a job and own this car," said
the 49-year-old clothing designer from Azusa. "Finding fuel for it becomes
your job. It is constant anxiety. I told the guy at Toyota, `If I have a
stroke, it´s on you.´"

Munoz found herself stranded with an empty tank on the highway and stressed
out by the repeated fuel shortages Mirai drivers call "hydropocalypses." She
struggled not to scream at her phone after driving miles to stations that a
hydrogen fueling app said were working just fine, only to find them out of
order.

These are the kind of hassles that can come with being an early adopter. But
in the case of California´s "Hydrogen Highway" - a network of fueling
stations then-Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger dreamed would lure masses of
Americans to hydrogen vehicles - even the most climate-conscious, tech-savvy
motorists are asking: What´s the point? The Hydrogen Highway was meant to
stretch from coast to coast. But after 17 years, it has yet to make it past
the state line.

Environmentalists warn that the futuristic hydrogen fuel cell cars, marketed
as producing zero emissions, leave an inexcusably heavy carbon footprint.
The few automakers that have not backed away from the concept of powering a
passenger car by splitting off electrons from hydrogen ions are struggling
to persuade drivers that the vehicles are a reliable alternative to zero-
emission battery-powered ones. And other states that typically look to
California for climate-friendly transportation inspiration are taking a
pass.

[Photo omitted + caption:  Maribel Munoz, a clothing designer from Azusa,
got rid of her hydrogen-powered Toyota Mirai after finding the fuel supply
system too stressful. "It is constant anxiety. I told the guy at Toyota, `If
I have a stroke, it´s on you.´" (Carolyn Cole / Los Angeles Times)]

"It started as kind of a bad bet by the state," said Ethan Elkind, director
of the climate program at UC Berkeley´s Center for Law, Energy and the
Environment. "Now it has become a legacy zombie technology."

California can´t let go of Schwarzenegger´s vision. In 2004, he famously got
behind the wheel of a clunky Hummer prototype that ran on hydrogen to signal
that drivers can have it all: the excess and convenience of a gas guzzler,
with none of the emissions. (It turned out that the hydrogen Hummer wasn´t
so climate-friendly and never made it to commercial production.)

State officials say the hydrogen experiment is merely experiencing the
growing pains of every transportation innovation California pushed into the
mainstream. The Biden administration is right there alongside California,
championing lucrative subsidies and demonstration projects aimed at making
hydrogen fuel an affordable and truly green alternative, one that it hopes
could complement the battery-powered electric vehicle market.

"Ten years ago, people would have come to me and said, `Why is California
supporting battery vehicles? There is hardly any market, and they will never
be competitive,´" said Patty Monahan, a member of the California Energy
Commission. Of course, battery electric vehicles are all the rage now.

It started as kind of a bad bet by the state. Now, it has become a legacy
zombie technology.

[Photo omitted + caption: Hydrogen-powered cars line up June 28 at the South
Coast Air Quality Management District hydrogen fuel station in Diamond Bar.
Customers waited more than two hours that day. (Carolyn Cole / Los Angeles
Times)]

Monahan said the state´s aggressive push to get drivers into hydrogen cars
is meant to help the technology rapidly scale up, to the point where large
fleets of trucks running on diesel and aircraft powered by jet fuel could be
retired in favor of cleaner-burning hydrogen models. Demonstration hydrogen
trucks are operational at the Port of Los Angeles, and 48 hydrogen buses are
being used by local transportation agencies.

Hydrogen boosters note that the far more popular battery-powered cars are
experiencing their own growing pains, as automakers and regulators confront
supply-chain challenges and environmental questions complicating the push to
rid the planet of climate-unfriendly internal combustion engines. The
hydrogen cars can go 400 miles on a full tank, and they don´t require
waiting around for a battery to charge.

Yet nearly two decades into the hydrogen experiment, it remains a uniquely
expensive gambit. The state has spent $125 million to make its struggling
network of 50 public hydrogen fueling stations operational. That network is
still so shaky - with stations frequently malfunctioning or out of fuel -
that Toyota provides free towing and car rental service to drivers who
purchase a Mirai, as getting stranded is a constant risk.

"It was a regular sight to see a car coming in on a flatbed when I went to
get fuel," said Scott Lerner, a writing instructor at UC Irvine who leased a
Mirai until the hardship of hydrogen motoring got to be too much. "We would
often have these commiserating circles at the station, where people would
share horror stories."

The state is undeterred. At the end of last year, as Lerner was retiring his
Mirai, the California Energy Commission was greenlighting an additional $169
million for fueling stations. The panel hopes to help open 111 more stations
by 2027, plus 13 that can also service trucks and buses.

That is a subsidy from the state of more than $1 million per station, mostly
for a fleet of about 9,000 private vehicles. They are mainly Mirais, but
there are also a smattering of Hyundai and Honda hydrogen cars on the
freeways. In the latest unencouraging sign for Hydrogen Highway evangelists,
Honda this month announced that it will soon stop selling the Clarity, the
one hydrogen model it has available.

The news was met with relief by some.  "Failure is never something to
celebrate, but nor is wasting money on dead end transport solutions,"
Michael Liebreich, a clean-energy analyst, wrote on Twitter.

This is not the way things usually go for California, which is accustomed to
having its pioneering policies enthusiastically embraced by other Democratic-
led states. In this case, however, many California transportation
visionaries are ready to move on and focus all efforts on battery-powered
zero-emission passenger cars, which accounted for 1.1 million of the more
than 14 million cars sold nationwide last year. But the big business
interests invested in hydrogen are harnessing their influence to preserve
the status quo.

Among those lobbying Gov. Gavin Newsom to vastly expand California´s
investment in the Hydrogen Highway are Chevron, Shell, Toyota, Hyundai and
BMW. Within their ranks is Henry Perea, the former assemblyman who wrote the
transportation bill mandating funding for hydrogen stations. He is now a
lobbyist for Chevron.

The firms assert that the fuel is green, yet the "100% renewable" hydrogen
sold at California fueling stations is made with natural gas. It gets
branded as renewable through a scheme in which hydrogen companies pay to
trap greenhouse-gas-intensive methane from landfills and farming operations
elsewhere in the country. The companies don´t use the resulting biogas,
which gets pumped into natural gas pipelines, except to generate carbon
credits they rely on to claim their fuel is green.

"You are still avoiding those greenhouse gases and getting all the benefits
from an environmental point of view," said Shane Stephens, founder of the
hydrogen fuel company True Zero.

Some environmental groups, including the Sierra Club, see it differently.

"It is not renewable," said Sasan Saadat, an analyst at Earthjustice. "What
they are doing does not make sense." There is so much natural gas involved
in the fuel production process, he said, that calling it sustainable is
indefensible. While hydrogen could ultimately prove the most effective
method to cut emissions from trucks and planes, the Hydrogen Highway concept
for cars just isn´t penciling out, Saadat said.

The Energy Commission aspires toward truly renewable fuel for hydrogen cars,
a goal achieved by the engineers who run the fueling station at Cal State
Los Angeles. The caveat is that this costs a fortune - double or triple the
price of making other hydrogen fuel, which is already so costly that Toyota
provides $15,000 fuel cards to lure drivers into Mirais.

"It´s still a long ways off," said Michael Dray, who runs the Cal State
station. He mocks assurances from hydrogen producers and the state that all
the fuel on the Hydrogen Highway will be green within the decade.  "Think
very carefully before investing in this technology," said Dray, adding that
the "party line" is deceptively upbeat.

"Do not be deceived by these people," he said. "Big corporations are having
a hard time with this. Major oil companies are having trouble making the
stations run. The auto manufacturers are having trouble with the cars."

Toyota officials take exception. They argue that the ridicule of hydrogen
car technology - Elon Musk calls the fuel cells "fool sells" - resembles
what they encountered when the wildly successful and widely copied Prius
hybrid debuted.  "We think in terms of decades, not one cycle," said Craig
Scott, a manager at the company´s Electrified Vehicles & Technology Office.

In Europe, where some 2,000 hydrogen cars and vans are scattered across the
continent, both BMW and Jaguar Land Rover are mulling over the launch of a
hydrogen model.

[Photo omitted + caption: Richard Wong fills his hydrogen-fueled Mirai at a
station in Irvine, as other drivers wait their turn. Wong and his wife,
Irene, are happy with the car and the benefits it offers. (Carolyn Cole /
Los Angeles Times) ]

In the U.S., there are plenty of Mirai drivers who share Toyota´s outlook.
These true believers can be found on Mirai owner Facebook pages, warring
with drivers posting rants about getting stranded, waiting intolerably long
for fuel and struggling to get the pump nozzle unfrozen from their fuel
tank. It is a volatile corner of the World Wide Web.

"The car was almost free," said Feridoon Aslani, 61, an actor and writer. "I
am happy with it."  He praised his 2017 Mirai even as he waited two hours
for fuel in Diamond Bar. The station was overwhelmed by desperate Mirai
drivers seeking a fill after one of the scant fueling stations in the nearby
Inland Empire went down. One car arrived by flatbed.

But Aslani, who lives in Santa Monica, said the $15,000 in free fuel Toyota
is giving hydrogen pioneers was too good a deal to pass up, and the vehicles
work fine for Angelenos on the Westside, where there is a critical mass of
fueling stations.

Eunjin Hana Joo´s enthusiasm for the Mirai she rents to the hydrogen-curious
in Los Angeles was tempered after she took two journalist clients to fill
the tank at Dray´s station. It was disappointing, the 30-year-old artist
said, to learn that most of the fuel she had been using was made with
natural gas. "The point is to reduce our carbon footprint," she said. "Why
are we creating it?"

Joo, who had been in a rush to make her next appointment, found herself
stuck an extra 20 minutes at the station, because fuel pumps had shut down
in the heat, another recurring challenge.

Maribel Munoz knows all about that. She pulled into the Diamond Bar station
during the June heat wave to find that the app had deceived her again. The
station was down - too hot. She had to wait three hours until it was cool
enough to pump fuel - and the pump stopped dispensing at half a tank.

Munoz vented on Facebook as she waited. The next day, she drove to the
Toyota dealer to demand that it buy back the vehicle.  "There were so many
problems that kept me from using the car," Munoz said, "that I called it my
lawn ornament."

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     I wish there was a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence.
     There's a knob called "brightness," but it doesn't work.

                                                      -- Gallagher