On 2 Nov 2021 at 14:21, Peri Hartman via EV wrote:

> But it's good to see that it's possible to extract metals and reuse
> them, unlike compared to the plastics recycling debacle.

Here in the US, our problem is that we've let successful recycling be
defined as profitable recycling.  In some EU nations, governments require
plastic recycling, period.  It costs more than using new plastic?  OK, we'll
subsidize the cost, because recycling is an essential public good.

Most of these places are also phasing in regulations to limit plastic use.
THAT is the real key to controlling plastic waste.  What comes first in
reduce-reuse-recycle?

For batteries:

Longer cycle life and higher specific energy => reduce
Transfer partly spent EV batteries to stationary energy storage => reuse
Recover materials for new batteries => recycle

> That implies 10% waste plus all the waste created from the
> extraction process. On a large scale that would be a huge amount of,
> probably, very toxic waste.

This is where it gets sticky.  Trading one environmental disaster-in-the-
making for another might meet legal requirements and generate some good
greenwashing PR, but it isn't really progress.

We have to avoid repeating the mistakes we've made with lead batteries.
It's true that most of the materials in them are recycled, and that's good,
but too much of the processing is done in third-world nations with limited
and/or unenforced regulation.

We have a chance to do it right this time.  Instead of letting the battery
manufacturers ship scrap batteries thousands of miles (using heavy oil
fueled high-pollution container ships) to get cheaper labor and limited
regulation, we need some laws with teeth:

1. The process itself has to be as safe as possible.

2. It has to be carried out under strong environmental regulations in
nations that actually enforce those regulations.

3. It should be done close to where the batteries and materials are used.

While this process can for sure relieve the pressure on raw materials supply
- and we absolutely need that for the kind of EV goals that several EU
countries are setting - IMO governments will have to step in early to make
sure that the net environmental effect ends up being positive.  Otherwise
the battery manufacturers and materials suppliers will - as always - do
what's cheapest, not what's cleanest.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     If you don't get this joke, ask a nerdy friend.  If you don't
     have any nerdy friends, try a bakery.  You can usually find
     them buying pies on the 14th of March.