Just spitballing here...

What about VIN equivalents in the adapter itself or manufacturers building
their charge ports and in-vehicle networking to Tesla specs?

All of this stuff is well over my head, but having written Palm Pilot programs
that interface with mainframe systems, it strikes me that there are usually
ways to effectively and reliably extend systems without breaking them.

But, as I said, all of this is well over my head. :)
--
Ron

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/