Hi Bill. Welcome to the EV Discussion List!

Converting a car can be as big or as small a project as you like. I've been
driving and converting EVs since the 1970's, and been on the EVDL a long time.
I've seen everything from $1000 conversions with cheap surplus parts, to $100k
conversions that rival factory fit and finish and have race car performance.

Since your BMW is a '91 and this is your first conversion, I would suggest
keeping it simple. Look for the book "Build your own electric vehicle" by Bob
Brant. It does a great job explaining the ins and outs of 1990's conversions.

There are 2nd and 3rd editions of this book by a different author, Seth
Leitman. He added a lot of new material to bring the theory and parts
availability into the current century. However, it is weaker on the actual
techniques for using these newer parts and materials.

"Convert It!" by Mike Brown and Shari Prange is another great book on classic
car conversions. It too has been edited and expanded into the current century
by another author, Ron Toms.

Finding someone local to help that has done it before is important! Books,
emails, and videos can only go so far. They can save you from a lot of mistakes
and expense.

Happy hacking!
Lee Hart
--
Excellence does not require perfection. -- Henry James
--

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/