Hello

Today, I received a message privately:

How are the papers looking so far? What about registrations? I am curious as a good percentage of people last event did not like the idea of NZ or combined with LCA.

I thought it would benefit if I responded on the appropriate OOo list.

Today is the last day for potential speakers to submit their abstracts
for the OOo Miniconf that forms part of LCA2006 (www.linux.conf.au).

Since making the CfP announcement[1] I have received three enquiries
directly, and one submission consisting of multiple papers has been
received at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I found out late that some of you did not like paying a registration fee
for six days conference, in order to attend or speak at the OOo
Miniconf. This year the registrations were priced at AUD690
(professional) and AUD300 (hobbyist). Early bird prices were AUD460 and
AUD200 respectively, with students and concession being AUD100. See:
http://lca2005.linux.org.au/register/

The registration fees for LCA2006 are similar, see:
http://www.linux.conf.au/register/ with early bird prices being
AUD517.50 (professional) and $225 (hobbyist). Early bird finishes on 18
November 2005.

My view is that even if you did not wish to attend the other four days
of the six day conference, then the registration fees for two days of
OOo presentations and tutorials is inexpensive. But then, I was going to
LCA anyway, so focussing on OOo for two days prior to the main
conference was not going to be a major inconvenience to me other than
not being able to attend other miniconf presentations.

It is considered to be a privilege to hold a one to two day miniconf.
Also, we did and do not have to do it. Miniconf speakers and attendees
are naturally drawn from those wishing to attend LCA. LCA is
typically oversubscribed and the number of attendees is kept to a
maximum to maintain what regular attendees like about LCA. That is, a
certain ambience and intimacy for OSS developers and end-users to share
their experience and skills. The focus is on, but is not limited to, Linux.

I don't know how the LCA registrations are going, but the latest LA
podcast[1] indicated that some people took advantage straight away of
the early bird registrations when they opened in the middle of October.

I'm puzzled about the "good percentage of people last event did not like
the idea of NZ or combined with LCA." As some of you know, I did not get
to see the OOo Miniconf through to the end as I was admitted to hospital
part way through the second day. But I did follow up all the speakers
and some of the attendees that completed the feedback forms [2]. A "good
percentage" of these replied to say that a second OOo Miniconf in
Dunedin as part of LCA2006 was a possibility. But like me, LCA attendees
would be going anyway, and some of the speakers did indicate that they
would not be able to go to New Zealand in January 2006.

I proposed the OOo Miniconf for LCA2006 to the LCA committee as there
appeared to be a strong and growing interest in OpenOffice.org in New
Zealand. Also, I don't think it is fair to not propose an OOo Miniconf
based on previous OOo Miniconf attendees and speakers that indicated
that they will not be attending.

However, as I said at the beginning. I have had few enquiries and one
potential speaker submit some abstracts. So I will have difficulty
promoting an OOo Miniconf, when really, if LCA attendees are interested
in OOo, they may be better off meeting up socially or proposing a BOF, a
lightning talk or a poster for LCA proper.

[1] http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=announce&msgNo=260
[2] http://la-pod.k-sit.com/
[3] I only have the feedback forms from day one of the OOo Miniconf.

Regards
Jacqueline McNally
Lead, OpenOffice.org Marketing Project

Are you a computer angel? (www.computerangels.org.au)