These machines have recently been upgraded, 3days ago.  New hardware and
OS version.  They replaced machines that were 3yrs old that had been
running the same configuration for that time without a problem.

I have indeed fixed the problem by reverting to a normal -q20m but
thanks  for the info.  I think the problem may have been caused by
FreeBSD 7.1 being far better at handling multi cpu systems and process
running into each other (big guess).

These servers are dumps that handle failed mail.  So the cron job was a
brutal way of trying one last delivery and far quicker than -q20m when
you know the queue is going to be large and very slow.

David