It's supposed to do that as far as I know.  I've got an old Slackware box
at work serving up files for 30 machines, and it always has a lot of smbd
and nmbd sessions during work hours.  Doesn't phase it in the least (P350,
64MB RAM).  Now if none of the clients are active, then it drops back down
to just one.

Stew Benedict