What does

cat /proc/scsi/scsi

say?

And then, what device are you using for the tape drive?

mt -f /dev/stx status

should give some feedback too, where "x" is the
device number, ie: 0,1 etc.

Stew Benedict

     The power in technology lies in getting it to
          work the way you do, we can help.
Stew Benedict *** AYS Enterprises *** [EMAIL PROTECTED]
     http://www.crosswinds.net/~stewb ICQ: 18063833
 http://www.aysenterprises.com Phone/Fax: 216-228-3983