What you need to do is comment out these lines in /etc/devfsd.conf file for
cdrom.  Once done, use kill -1 <devfsd pid> , then remove the cdrom link and
you should be able to create the new link.

#LOOKUP        ^cdrom$       CFUNCTION GLOBAL symlink cdroms/cdrom0 $devpath
#REGISTER       ^cdroms/cdrom0$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL symlink cdroms/cdrom0 cdrom
#UNREGISTER   ^cdroms/cdrom0$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink cdrom

Bunty