My advice, which is probably worth just about what you're paying for
it, is to stick with 2.96.

Probably for 99.9% of the programs you are likely to try it with, gcc
3.0 will be fine, and possibly better, than 2.96. But that 0.1% might
be a real killer. 2.96 might not (perhaps) produce as efficient code as
3.0, but my experience is that at least the code always works. Code
that makes heavy use of the C++ STL and exception handling sometimes
spontaneously aborts under 3.0. I have, in fact, removed 3.0 from my LM
8.1 system. In six months maybe I'll try 3.x again, but I can't
recommend it at the moment.

  Doc Evans

On 3 Jan 02, at 14:10, Marc wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am not a developer but reguralarly compile src.rpm packages on my
> Mandrake 8.1 system.  I was wondering what the difference is between
> gcc-2.96 and gcc 3.0.
>
> Is it save to remove gcc-2.96 and install gcc3.  Or is it saver to stick
> with the old gcc-2.96.
>
> Marc

Phone:  +1 303 494 0394
Mobile: +1 720 839 8462