The differnce is in the last / . If you say

$ mkisofs  ... /mp3s/artist/

you get all of the album files in the root of the disk.

$ mkisofs /mp3s/artist

should get you artist in the root, and the other files underneath....

YMMV

--
Kevin O'Connor

  "People will be free to devote themselves to activities that are fun ...

The GNU Manifesto - Copyright (C) 1985, 1993 Free Software Foundation, Inc.