On Thursday 01 August 2002 10:20 pm, you wrote:
> Greetings:
> I've never seen this. All my problems have always been with dialup and
> connection. In this case I dailed, connected, got through my terminal login
> sequence and then died. I am using kppp and these are the messages printed
> to the terminial from whose command line I started:
>
> /home/matthew(2248) [242] $ Xlib:  extension "RENDER" missing on display
> "192.168.1.6:0.0". Opener: received OpenLock
>
> Opener: received OpenDevice
> Opener: received ExecPPPDaemon
> In parent: pppd pid 4855
> Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
> Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
> Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
> Kernel supports ppp alright.
> It was pppd that died
> pppd exited with return value 16
> Sending 2309 a SIGUSR1
> Opener: received RemoveSecret
> Opener: received RemoveSecret
> Opener: received OpenResolv
> Opener: received OpenResolv
> Opener: received RemoveLock
> Opener: received PPPDExitStatus
> kppp: WARNING: KDE detected X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter
> attributes) 8 Major opcode:  42
> Opener: received OpenSysLog
> kppp: WARNING: KDE detected X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter
> attributes) 8 Major opcode:  42
> kppp: WARNING: KDE detected X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter
> attributes) 8 Major opcode:  42
> /home/matthew(2248) [242] $
>
> Now if the kernel supports ppp, why isn't there a ppp0 interface to find?
> Doesn't the act of setting up an account in kppp build a ppp0?
>
> Thanks
also your ip number for the box you are on should be set to dhcp, and not end
in a 0 (your IP; 192.168,0.0 in for the whole network, try 192.168.0.1 this
is for eth0. localhost should still be the LO interface at 127.0.0.1this  is
not for the dialup interface, but your local network, for your dialup you
will get an IP from your ISP when you connect (dhcp).