This probably isn't what you want to hear but...

A firewall should be a firewall and NOT a file server. It is poor security
practice to put anything on a firewall box that is not absolutely required.

Use your existing box as a file server and get another, smaller box and use it
as your firewall, NAT (connection sharing) box.

My $.02

KevinO

Jim C wrote:
> HAaaAAAaaalp! ;-)
>
> Background:  Server is Mdk 9.0 and my two clients are XP boxes.
> I can't get Samba, shorewall and Connection Shareing to play nice on the
> same box.  If two of them work then the third does not.  The shorewall
> website says to add these rules to /etc/shorewall/rules:
>
>> []# cat rules.sav
>> ACCEPT  fw      loc     udp     137:139
>> ACCEPT  fw      loc     tcp     137,139
>> ACCEPT  fw      loc     udp     1024:           137
>> ACCEPT  loc     fw      udp     137:139   ACCEPT  loc     fw
>> tcp     137,139  ACCEPT  loc     fw      udp     1024:           137
>> #LAST LINE -- ADD YOUR ENTRIES BEFORE THIS ONE -- DO NOT REMOVE
>

> Unfortunatley this does not help.  What I get is a really slow refresh
> of My Network Places and then clicking on the box with shorewall and ICS
> on it causes the error message: "//enigma is not accessible.  You might
> not have permission to use the network resource. Contact your
> Adminstrator..." yata, yata, yata.  Now samba should be set up right
> because I've been able to access it once or twice while fiddleing. Only
> at the expense of something else, however.  Is there a port I am missing
> or something?  The rest of the rules file currently looks like this:
>
>> ##############################################################################
>>
>> #ACTION  SOURCE         DEST            PROTO   DEST    SOURCE
>> ORIGINAL
>> #                                               PORT    PORT(S)    DEST
>> ACCEPT  net     fw      udp     53      -
>> ACCEPT  net     fw      tcp     53,22,20,21     -
>> ACCEPT  masq    fw      udp     53      -
>> ACCEPT  masq    fw      tcp     53,22,20,21     -
>> ACCEPT  loc     fw      udp     53      -
>> ACCEPT  loc     fw      tcp     53,22,20,21     -
>> ACCEPT  masq    fw      tcp
>> domain,bootps,http,https,631,imap,pop3,smtp,nntp,ntp    -
>> ACCEPT  masq    fw      udp
>> domain,bootps,http,https,631,imap,pop3,smtp,nntp,ntp    -
>> ACCEPT  fw      masq    tcp     631,137,138,139 -
>> ACCEPT  fw      masq    udp     631,137,138,139 -
>> ACCEPT  fw      loc     udp     137:139
>> ACCEPT  fw      loc     tcp     137,139
>> ACCEPT  fw      loc     udp     1024:           137
>> ACCEPT  loc     fw      udp     137:139   ACCEPT  loc     fw
>> tcp     137,139  ACCEPT  loc     fw      udp     1024:           137
>> #LAST LINE -- ADD YOUR ENTRIES BEFORE THIS ONE -- DO NOT REMOVE

> Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

- --
KevinO

Matz's Law:
        A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.