Hi,
I have a mandrake9.0 and I use mplayer.
There is a bug when I use mplayer in vesa mode (this is for reading movies without X, in text mode only): mplayer always segfault when I try to use it in vesa mode (and it works with other modes)

The problem is easily reproductible, if you have a mdk9 and any vesion of mplayer-0.9, just go in text mode only, and type mplayer -vo vesa <name_of_the_movie>

It segfaults on all mdk9 based systems I have tried.

I have done some investigations, and I found this:
~ It works with a mdk8.1 (and mdk8.2)
~ It's not compiler fault, I have tried rpm version of mplayer: it works with mdk8.1 but not with mdk9
~ It's not kernel bug, I have tried kernel-2.4.8 from mdk8.1, I got the same problem
~ It seems to be a glibc bug: I have tried glibc-2.2.4 from mdk8.1, and it works!
~ The segfault occurs in file linux/lrmi.c of mplayer (assembler code that I don't understand):
> #ifdef __PIC__
> asm volatile (
> "pushl %%ebx\n\t"
> "movl %2, %%ebx\n\t"
> "int $0x80\n\t"
> "popl %%ebx"
> : "=a" (r)
> : "0" (113), "r" (vm));
> #else
> asm volatile (
> "int $0x80"
> : "0" (113), "b" (vm));
> #endif

What I would like: I have tried to upgrade my glibc to the glibc-3.2.1, but I can't get it working. So could someone with a glibc > 2.2.5 try mplayer and tell me if there is still this bug?

Remarks, comments, ... are welcomed

Thanks,
Xavier