I understand that, but it helps to let you know that the dns resolution has been solved. It will at least comeback with the ip address which indicates the dns is okay. That is what I was looking for on that particuliar ping.

Larry Sword wrote:

Joseph Loo wrote:

I recently installed a fresh copy of Mandrake 9.1 and included the shorewall firewall. I have a modem hookup. When I try to ping a site e.g. www.ibm.com the system never seems to respond. It looks like the firewall is preventing something from happening. I have enable the shorewall to allow everything and none. If I have none, I can ping specific addresses with no problems. It seems to me that the program is not allowing the standard dns client information to either broadcast or receive.

Note, I also found out that the local systems tied via an ehternet connection will not allow me to ping any addresses. It seems to me that the system allows the ping but does not allow the responds to come back. This is true when everything is blocked but it allows when nothing is blocked.

At this time I have 2 problems, the firewall can not distinguish the local network versus the internet (I use mandrak configuration tool to add the modem into the syste but no such luck). and the rules needed to allow the internet to communicate.

Some systems are set not to respond to pings...

-- Joseph Loo [EMAIL PROTECTED]