Rolf Pedersen wrote:
> In contrib/, there is abcde.  By default, with a CD in /dev/cdrom, when
> you type abcde, there are a couple of interactive questions then abcde
> will rip the CD, encoding to ogg in a subdirectory of the artist's name
> with track names.  Encoding runs parallel with ripping.  A configuration
> file, /etc/abcde.conf, can be copied to $HOME for per-user preferences
> and there is an option to take advantage of smp machines.  On my 1700+
> Athlon, it took about 24 minutes for 9 tracks/44 minutes of music.

Sounds similar to grip, which automatically creates per user config files
(~/.grip). All of these programs are just front-ends to the 'standard' command
line tools. (cdparanoia, cdrecord, mkisofs, etc.)

Using grip, set for cdparanoia for ripping and gogo for encoding, a Pentium 3
800 and an older Yamaha 16x LightSpeed drive, rip and encode takes 10 to 15
minutes for a full-length CD.

The Yamaha, using cdparanoia (slower but better) to rip runs at around 6x to
7x rate and gogo actually runs a little faster, often waiting for the next
track to finish ripping.

On my friend's dual Athlon MP 1600+, gogo runs so fast that tracks are often
encoded while his 24x Yamaha is locating and starting the next track, well
under 10 seconds per track to encode. (It has been a while but it seems like
it was more like 3 to 5 seconds to encode a track) It would rip track 1, then
encode it before it could start ripping track 2, then gogo would sit idle
until track 2 was done ripping, and so on ...

I've been using grip since Mdk 7.2 so I am pretty used to it. I really like
the fact that it is so configurable. With it set to auto-rip and encode on
insert, get Artist and track data off of the web, I would just keep sticking
in CDs and it would create a nice directory structure organized by Artist -->
Disk --> Track ready to be rsync'd over to my internal server running edna
which serves up the files to any of the machines on the LAN. Grip really made
short work out of the project once it was all set up. Now we can play almost
anything from my CD collection on any computer in the house using Mozilla and
xmms. Back then Mandrake came with the Blade encoder but I switched to gogo
for the speed and quality. We generally use 192Kbps fixed rate here. (Variable
rate would have been better ;-) )

I wish my audio/DVD toys would play ogg....

If anyone wants more accurate benchmark numbers I can run a quick test on
either or both of these machines.

--
KevinO

"If truth is beauty, how come no one has their hair done in the library?"
-- Lily Tomlin