Wow,

Can go with mindi/mondo (urpmi mind) would take care
of it.

Or, in my case, buy a cheapo drive $30.00 gives u 40Gb
nowadays, and
tar cf /dev/hdb/root.tar /
for i in  /usr /var /opt /home /whateverfilesystem
do
tar cf /mnt/hdb/$i $i
done

So if hda dies, all u do is replace it, and boot with
install disk, rescue mode, create ur new filesystems,
and restore from backup drive only the files/directory
into new location.
then run lilo -r /mnt/hdb/
reboot with new drive.

Works everytime for me.

I even clone systems this way (primitive, but works!)
Thanks

--- Adrian Golumbovici