Hi all,

I managed to royally mess up my MD 9.1 just before finishing my
BitTorrent download and while waiting for my PowerPack to be
shipped :-((

Somewhere I found an advice that all font names should have small
letters in their names. As not all my fonts were working, I launched
Krename and changed the caps to small letters, while waiting for BT,
this was probably the stupidest I could have done!

I noticed my fonts changing, but not improving. Yesterday I had to go
to Windows to do my bank payments (they don't have a Linux version,
alas). Afterwards I couldn't start X any longer.

I found an X error reading i.a.:
quote
Using vt 7. Could not init font path element unix/:-1, removing from
list.
Fatal server error: could not open default font 'fixed'.
unquote

Restoring all fonts from tarballs I had put on cdrw in preparation
for upgrading to 9.2 didn't help anything.

I googled for the problem and found several answers, such as:
*directory / is full: not in my case (> 3 Gb spare);
*restart xfs server; I already tried that in runlevels 3 and 5; no
difference.
* reinstall all XF86 packages: did that; didn't help.
* I restored /etc/XF86Config from tarball on cd: didn't help.
* another answer said to delete reference to default font in
XF86Config, but there wasn't any, except for an "other" Mandrake font
server.

In each case I restarted the xfs server and tried to start X, but it
failed. In the last case I waited 10 to 15 minutes and saw an
occasional attempt by X to start up (a few coloured lines showing or
very fast flashing by of my last terminal screen), but nothing
helped. In these cases no login prompt could be reached, nor the
kernel messages.

I should very much appreciate it if somebody can advise me how to get
back in my Mandrake with X.

{ This message was previously posted to the newbie list, but
apparently nobody knew how to help me }

Personally I don't know any solution anymore, except reinstalling.
But I hope somebody has an easier solution.

Thanks very much in advance!
Best regards,
=Dick Gevers=

--