James Sparenberg wrote:
>> > Well, that concludes that Kde really is the culprit, doesn't it.
>> > But what in Kde?
>> > /Björn
>>

> err... puncuation would help.... let me try again.
>> What I see that you use that I don't are, iptables, shorewall, netfs nfs
>> and
>> lisa, linuxconf httpd and atd.  I've got nessusd smartd and win4lin,
>> that you don't have. I'm suspicious that Lisa is what is "polling" your
>> HDD but not sure.  In my case as well, dm is the only diff between rl 3
>> and 5.  My initial reaction would be, turn off (if possible) the ones
>> you have that I don't, one at a time, then if it doesn't stop the
>> polling, turn it back on and go to the next one.

Hmm, I removed the ones you don't have, except shorewall, since
I'm directly connected to the internet. Wouldn't want to be without it...
I did shut it off for a minute though, but I still got disc activity every 6
seconds! I even tried the classical M$ trick (reboot) but still no luck,
but I now finally got rid of some services I don't need, like nfs...

I also went in to Kde's control center and played with
Compoments|Servicemanager and shut everyting I could off, like KWrite
deamon, and Mount watcher, essentailly everything I could find, but still
no luck

Everything associated with Lisa is also turned off, on the client side.

The KAlarm deamon looked suspicouis, but killing it made no difference...

Starting to kill my processes one by one, starting with 'kded'.
Got lucky, this is the one. Now I can google it, and found:

"
> kded continually
> accesses the disk about once per second, and as a result, even when
> I'm not "doing anything" so to speak on my computer, my hard drive
> will never spin down.

I had a similar effect some time ago on a SuSE box. In my case I could
make that repeating disk access to stop by mounting that specific
*reiserfs* partition with the 'noatime' option.
"

Give this a try... and reboot

<cries of happiness>
  And YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES
</cries of happiness>

That did it :)

>> As for the 9.1 + texstar combo.  Yes love it.  That's why my laptop
>> won't be in a hurry to move to 9.2.

I'm thinking that kernel 2.6 would make me upgrade, so I'll wait for a
stable release that won't make me recompile the kernel. Every time I
tried, I always end up with a new install :(
I'm always doing something wrong!

Thanks for your patience, all

/Björn