On Sat, 2003-11-15 at 08:34, David E. Fox wrote:
> > My firewall has been up and running for the last 2 years now. While trying =
> > to cleanup the partitions I noticed a wholalotta log files from various stu=
>
> Please don't post HTML.
>
> Adrian, isn't logrotate working? Or do you want to clean the stuff up
> now? At any rate, find would do the job:
>
> # find . -type f /var/log -mtime 30 | xargs rm
>
> That gets rid of files modified over 30 days ago.

When I tried doing the line you defined above, I get this output:

find: paths must precede expression
Usage: find [path...] [expression]
rm: too few arguments
Try `rm --help' for more information.

So I did it this way:

find /var/log -type f -mtime 5 | xargs rm

And it works.  The only thing that catches my attention is that in the
'find' man page, '-mtime' says:

 -mtime n
              File's data was last modified n*24 hours ago.

This would seem to me to mean a static multiplyer.  In other words,
'-mtime 30' would be any logs created exactly 30 days ago - not 31, not
29.

How would you state 'anything over 30 days'?  And why did you create the
syntax the way you did above; with the '.' after 'find' and the order of
commands?

Thanks!

--
Michael Holt
Snohomish, WA                       (o_

        --Top 100 things you don't want the sysadmin to say