Am 05.01.2024 um 10:26 schrieb Cecil Westerhof via ffmpeg-user:
Ferdi Scholten <fe...@sttc-nlp.nl> writes:

I want to play a video in a video from a certain point. I understood I
could do something like:
      ffmpeg              \
        -i input1.mp4     \
        -i input2.mp4     \
        -filter_complex "
          [0:v][1:v] overlay=25:25:
          enable='between(t,8,20)'
        "                 \
        -pix_fmt yuv420p  \
        -c:a copy         \
        output.mp4

But this starts input2.mp4 from the start of input2.mp4 on the 8
second, for twelve seconds.
Is it possible to let input2.mp4 not start from second 0, but from
second 17?

Try putting -ss 17 between the two inputs.
I was thinking about that. But that means that if I want to use
input2.mp4 several times, I should use input2.mp4 several times with
the correct -ss. Not really a problem, but I had hoped for a more
efficient way.

You can cut off the beginning of the second stream with the "trim" filter, but then you must also use the "atrim" filter for audio. "-ss" is easier, but can only make a cut at a keyframe, if I remember right.

Michael