News

   Ex-Gitmo Detainee Ahmed Ghailani Cleared of All but One Charge in U.S.
Embassy Bombings
  Published November 17, 2010
| FoxNews.com

   -
Print<http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/11/17/gitmo-detainee-ahmed-ghailani-guilty-terrorism-charges/#>
   -
Email<http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/11/17/gitmo-detainee-ahmed-ghailani-guilty-terrorism-charges/#>
   -
Share<http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/11/17/gitmo-detainee-ahmed-ghailani-guilty-terrorism-charges/#>
   -   Comments
(66)<http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/11/17/gitmo-detainee-ahmed-ghailani-guilty-terrorism-charges/#content>
   -
   -
<http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/11/17/gitmo-detainee-ahmed-ghailani-guilty-terrorism-charges/#>Text
Size

<http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/11/17/gitmo-detainee-ahmed-ghailani-guilty-terrorism-charges/#>

 Former
Guantanamo<http://www.foxnews.com/topics/politics/iraq/guantanamo.htm#r_src=ramp>Bay
detainee Ahmed Ghailani was found not guilty on all but one charge
Wednesday by a civilian jury in New York, in a case with ramifications for
President Obama's policy toward Guantanamo and civilian trials for terror
suspects.
Ghailani was acquitted in federal court on 224 murder charges in connection
with the 1998 bombings of the U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania. He was
found guilty for only one charge, conspiracy to destroy government
buildings.
Ghailani faces a mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years and a possible life
sentence. He will remain in custody and sentencing will take place at a
future date.
The acquittal is seen as a major blow to the U.S. government, as Ghailani
was the first former Gitmo detainee to be tried in a civilian courtroom.
The judge had earlier decided that a star witness would not be allowed to
testify because of coercive techniques that were used to get the witness'
name from Ghailani. It is unknown what effect this witness would have had on
the case.
Defense attorneys claimed Ghailani is an innocent “dupe,” who had no idea he
was assisting Al
Qaeda<http://www.foxnews.com/topics/politics/iraq/al-qaeda.htm#r_src=ramp>operatives
in their deadly plot.
*The Associated Press contributed to this report.*

Read more:
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/11/17/gitmo-detainee-ahmed-ghailani-guilty-terrorism-charges/#ixzz15aQGkPfl

 *Permission is granted to share.* However, please remove my name before
forwarding. Should you not be able to delete my name, please do not share
with others*. THANK YOU.
*
*I believe in God as being creator of all and pray he continues to Bless
America, our Troops & Our Allies**
*
*To continue being one nation under God and to keep our freedom, continue
reminding your local and Federal representatives. especially the newly
elected.*

--
USE INCREDIMAIL ONLY IN THIS GROUP
NO NUDITY ALLOWED