<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=10&ms=MjY1OTkxNjQS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=ODgzNzYyNzA0S0&mt=1&rt=0>
[image: Our Story]
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=18&ms=MjY1OTkxNjQS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=ODgzNzYyNzA0S0&mt=1&rt=0>
Words That Matter

September 25, 2016
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=10&ms=MjY1OTkxNjQS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=ODgzNzYyNzA0S0&mt=1&rt=0>

Read: 1 John 1:1-4
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=7&ms=MjY1OTkxNjQS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=ODgzNzYyNzA0S0&mt=1&rt=0>
Bible in a Year: Song of Solomon 6-8; Galatians 4
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=9&ms=MjY1OTkxNjQS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=ODgzNzYyNzA0S0&mt=1&rt=0>
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=6&ms=MjY1OTkxNjQS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=ODgzNzYyNzA0S0&mt=1&rt=0>

That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen
with our eyes . . . this we proclaim concerning the Word of life.—1 John 1:1
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=16&ms=MjY1OTkxNjQS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=ODgzNzYyNzA0S0&mt=1&rt=0>

Early in my days of working as an editor for *Our Daily Bread,* I selected
the cover verse for each month’s devotional. After a while, I began to
wonder if it made a difference.

Not long after that, a reader wrote and described how she had prayed for
her son for more than twenty years, yet he wanted nothing to do with Jesus.
Then one day he stopped by to visit her, and he read the verse on the cover
of the booklet that sat on her table. The Spirit used those words to
convict him, and he gave his life to Jesus at that very moment.

I don’t recall the verse or the woman’s name. But I’ll never forget the
clarity of God’s message to me that day. He had chosen to answer a woman’s
prayers through a verse selected nearly a year earlier. From a place beyond
time, He brought the wonder of His presence to my work and His words.

John the disciple called Jesus “the Word of life” (1 John 1:1). He wanted
everyone to know what that meant. “We proclaim to you the eternal life,
which was with the Father and has appeared to us,” he wrote of Jesus (v.
2). “We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard, so that you also may
have fellowship with us” (v. 3).

There is nothing magical in putting words on a page. But there is
life-changing power in the words of Scripture because they point us to the
Word of life—Jesus. —Tim Gustafson

*Thank You, Father, that Your Word is living and powerful!*

Words that point us to Christ are always words that matter.

*INSIGHT:* In the Greek language in which it was originally penned, the
verbs in 1 John 1:1-2 are in the perfect tense. They describe something
completed in the past with abiding results into the present: “That which
was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our
eyes, which we have looked at and our hands have touched—this we proclaim
concerning the Word of life. . . . The life appeared; we have seen it and
testify to it.” These verses connect remarkably with John’s gospel: “In the
beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. .
. . Through him all things were made.”

<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=14&ms=MjY1OTkxNjQS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=ODgzNzYyNzA0S0&mt=1&rt=0>
[image: Our Daily Bread Ministries]
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=10&ms=MjY1OTkxNjQS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=ODgzNzYyNzA0S0&mt=1&rt=0>

Our mission is to make the life-changing wisdom of the Bible understandable
and accessible to all.

Our vision is to see people of all nations experiencing a personal
relationship with Christ, growing to be more like Him, and serving in a
local body of His family.

To read today's *Our Daily Bread* online visit www.odb.org
<http://links.rbcministries.mkt6605.com/ctt?kn=12&ms=MjY1OTkxNjQS1&r=NzgyMDAzNDM0MjcS1&b=0&j=ODgzNzYyNzA0S0&mt=1&rt=0>
.

Copyright © 2016, Our Daily Bread Ministries, Grand Rapids, MI 49555 USA.
Written permission must be obtained from Our Daily Bread Ministries for any
further posting or distribution.

Scriptures taken from Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV®
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission.
All rights reserved.

USE INCREDIMAIL ONLY IN THIS GROUP
NO NUDITY ALLOWED
---