I thank Joe and Henry for the cites and link. There is also a third article available from the link Henry provided.

Konig's article (I got it via Westlaw) is thoughtful and well-written, but contrary to claims by the author and others in the same forum, the Scottish debates have not been previously ignored. See my article published last fall, "The Highest Possible Generality: The Militia and Moral Philosophy in Enlightenment Scotland," vol. 15 Journal on Firearms and Public Policy 93.

As I show in my article, the participants in the Scottish debate conceived of the relationship between the individual and the state as reciprocal in a way characteristic of Enlightenment thought. Moreover, the Scottish debate was primarily an intellectual, rather than political, debate. Konig's theory, that the Second Amendment occupies some nether world between the collectivity and the individual, fails to account for the intellectual context of Enlightenment Edinburgh, as well as rendering the amendment a legal nullity.  Konig's supposedly integrative theory also fails to integrate the direct evidence pertaining to an American private right, e.g. the Pennsylvania Minority proposal and Tench Coxe's explication of the amendment. But the article is thoughtful and well-written, and I recommend it.

Konig's supporters are claiming his theory liberates them from the "states right" theory. I note that this places them at odds with the 9th Circuit, which takes the position that the Second Amendment is a legal provision relating to the allocation of militia powers. But I can understand why Cornell, Uvmiller, and Merkel are eager to find a new theory, since I have shown elsewhere that the states' right theory is untenable in the face of the susceptibility of state militia regulation to federal preemption. See "Exposing the Second Amendment: Federal Preemption of State Militia Legislation" 79 U. Det. Mercy L.R. 39.

Cheers,

J. Norman Heath