Ian,

    >My next test, hopefully tomorrow, will be to turn Forced Writes
   off, and kill the link in the 5 second time between doing stuff >and
   the OS deciding to do anything with it, but I think I'm still on a
   hiding to nothing unless I can get the packets to drop part >way
through the splurge of writing.

It will be a really interested experiment - please keep us informed.

    >We are not worried about HA, we are just trying to get real-time
   replication for persistence of data - and I've no idea how to >kill it!

If you are interested in more ways to kill Firebird - please provide an exact version of your Firebird, and I will try to find a script to kill it or at least freeze. Please contact me: ak at ib-aid.com

Regards,
Alexey Kovyazin
IBSurgeon

    > So, did you make experiments with sudden reboot of one of the
nodes with simultaneous high load
    > (inserting or updating a lot of records)?

    Hi Alexey,

    That's pretty much the only test that we've tried in several
    different ways. The problem is that Firebird is just too reliable,
    so I don't have a mental model of how to break it. We've been
    using it for 15 years and only ever had problems with the
    generation of HDDs in the early 00s that reported successful write
    to the OS but cached forever - specifically Maxtors. Apart from
    that we had a power supply blow once on a 10GB database that
    corrupted just a single record at the moment of death, and all
    that took was a careful extract of the data from that table either
    side of the bad record.

    For testing DRBD we've tried pulling power during heavy activity,
    and then repeated this with iptables dropping all traffic between
    the nodes to simulate to the secondary the total immediate failure
    of the primary in a more test friendly way. So far Firebird just
shrugs a bit and gets back on with the work on the secondary.
    My next test, hopefully tomorrow, will be to turn Forced Writes
    off, and kill the link in the 5 second time between doing stuff
    and the OS deciding to do anything with it, but I think I'm still
    on a hiding to nothing unless I can get the packets to drop part
way through the splurge of writing.
    We are not worried about HA, we are just trying to get real-time
    replication for persistence of data - and I've no idea how to kill it!

    Ian

  • [firebird-suppo... wobble...@yahoo.co.uk [firebird-support]
    • RE: [fireb... 'Bogdan' bog...@mordicom.si [firebird-support]
    • Re: [fireb... Michael Weissenbacher m...@dermichi.com [firebird-support]