Hi,

1. you buffer settings is low.
you can simple calc numbers like
page_size*buffer_Size*IFTHEN(Architecture=SUPERSERVER, 1, CONNECTIONS_NUMBER) +
Temp_Cache_Limit*CONNECTIONS_NUMBER
i write from memory then someone can fix some mistakes
2. second what is your CPU usage when you compare this two servers old and new?
3. What is your I/O when you test?
4. How do you checked that new server is slower? Some query slow down - query
plan changed ...

I'm very big fan of superserver architecture and in your env(I see that you
have ~1,4 transaction/s) i do not see any reason to not use it and gain
performance bost because of big single cache.
But only if you have not cpu intensive work - superserver can use only one core.

But to compare two servers you must show us some numbers and config settings
like HDD,SSD, RAID0, 1, 5, batery pack.. server kind, system version ...
If you have many blobs then 16KB page size is better - if this blobs are mostly
bigger than 16KB

regards,
Karol Bieniaszewski

We have a 127GB Firebird database that was running on Windows Server 2008 x64
with 16GB of RAM and Firebird SuperClassic v2.5.2.26539.  The database has a
page size of 8192 and buffers of 6144, and ODS version 11.2.

Due to time constraints I could not do a backup+restore on the new server,
which is Windows 2012 with 32GB RAM and Firebird SuperClassic v2.5.5.26952.
However, most activity on this new server with the old database is much slower
than the old server.  I'm only seeing about 1.5GB Private Bytes in use, jumping
occasionally to 2.5GB with a working set of 1.1GB and Virtual Size of 2.7 (as
per Process Explorer).

The only changes that I have made to the stock Firebird.conf are as follows:
DefaultDbCachePages = 384
FileSystemCacheSize = 50
TempBlockSiz e = 2048576
TempCacheLimit = 567108864

The database is comprised of many images up to 1.5MB in size, but they are not
accessed very often.  The actual data size outside of these images is probably
1/3 of the total DB size.

There are typically about 20 connections to the database servicing up to 140
users, with a mix of read and write transactions, as well as some reporting.

The header statistics look like this:
Database header page information:
        Flags                   0
        Checksum                12345
  &n bsp;     Generation              106862144
        Page size               8192
        ODS version             11.2
        Oldest transaction      103869407
        Oldest active           103869408
        Oldest snapshot         103869408
        Next transaction        103870442
        Bumped transaction      1
   & nbsp;    Sequence number         0
        Next attachment ID      2991646
        Implementation ID       26
        Shadow count            0
        Page buffers            6144
        Next header page        0
        Database dialect        3
        Creation date           Feb 2, 2014 22:06:05
        Attributes     &nb sp;        force write
    Variable header data:
        Sweep interval:         0
        *END*

I'm looking for some guidance as to how changes that should be made to the
Firebird configuration file and to the database when I do a backup/restore.
For instance, I'm sure that I want to jump to 16KB pages, but what about
buffers?

There are other services that run on this server, so I cannot use all resources
for the database.  However, I believe it is provisioned well enough that I can
certainly use half of the resources - processor and memory - without affecting
the application server and web server that are running on the same box.

Thank you for your time,

Bob M..