Hi Antti,
Try to lock database with nbackup and check the peformance with locked database
- in this case all writes will go to delta file sequentially.
If your assumption is true and Premium Storage does not work good with random
writes, you will see less decrease of performance.
Also, there are other options to deal with such performance problem - please
contact me directly.
Alexey Kovyazin
IBSurgeon вторник, 30 августа 2016г., 19:18 +03:00 от Antti Nivala
antti.niv...@m-files.com [firebird-support]  firebird-support@yahoogroups.com :

>Hi,
>
>We've experimented with the performance of Firebird in virtual machines in
>Microsoft's Azure cloud. With Azure VMs, any durable data needs to be placed
>in "data disks", and essentially that means network-connected storage that is
>inherently
 slower than e.g. local SSD disks.

>When testing our application's operations with a Firebird database that's on
>such a "data disk", the performance is roughly 6x slower than when the
>database is on the VM's local, temporary-only disk. The temporary disks
>obviously are not
 good for real use so this is for performance comparison only.

>When we do the same test with SQL Server (e.g., SQL Server Express Edition),
>the performance difference between the temporary local disks and the durable
>data disks is significantly smaller. SQL Server seems to perform pretty much
>as fast
 with the data disk with our application's operations.

>The way I'm explaining this difference to myself is that Firebird's way of
>making the transactions durable is not well suited for this kind of
>environment where the disk has latency. As far as I understand, Firebird needs
>to make a lot
 of page writes to the disk to different locations (as the transaction is
touching multiple tables), and this is probably poison in a situation where the
disk has latency. On the other hand, SQL Server, as far as I understand, only
needs to write to its transaction
 log file to make the transaction durable, which is probably an advantage in
this kind of hardware setup.

  • [firebird-supp... Antti Nivala antti.niv...@m-files.com [firebird-support]
    • [firebird... 'Leyne, Sean' s...@broadviewsoftware.com [firebird-support]
    • Re: [fire... Alexey Kovyazin (ak) a...@ib-aid.com [firebird-support]