Ann,

  Thanks for your detailed answer.

I agree with you: the only isolation level which each transaction takes care of is its own isolation level. So this behavior happens because A isolation level is snapshot ( regardless of the isolation level of B or C ).

Also I suspected your last conclusion: Firebird only checks the most recent record version.

But this leads me to the following question: If snapshot transactions have their own copy of the Transaction Inventory Pages ( TIP ), taken when the transaction started, transaction A couldn't see the state of transaction B or transaction C ( because they are not in this copy ).

So I guess that snapshot transactions use its own copy of TIP for reading ( selects ), but when it comes to updates or deletes, in order to search for collisions, they should also access the global shared TIP.

    Is that true ?

Aldo

El 01/03/17 a las 09:29, Ann Harrison aharri...@ibphoenix.com [firebird-support] escribió:

> On Feb 28, 2017, at 3:07 PM, Aldo Caruso wrote:
>
> I'm trying to understand interactions between transactions with
> different isolation levels.

The problem is not mixed isolation levels. You would get the same behavior if all transactions were Snapshot

The scenario (described below in detail) is

Start transaction A

Start transaction B

B updates some record

B commits

Start transaction C

C updates the same record

A attempts to update that record and waits for C to end

Whatever C dies A will fail because of a conflict with C if C commits or a conflict with B if C rolls back. Why doesn't A just fail immediately?

The answer is that Firebird checks only the most recent record version for conflicts. Checking the next back version would avoid having A wait in this case but would require more reading in general.

Good luck,

Ann

  • [firebird-suppor... Aldo Caruso aldo.car...@argencasas.com [firebird-support]
    • Re: [firebi... Ann Harrison aharri...@ibphoenix.com [firebird-support]