Here is the link to the definition of CHAR and VARCHAR field definitions from
the IB-Experts site...

 https://www.ibexpert.net/ibe/index.php?n=Doc.CHAR
https://www.ibexpert.net/ibe/index.php?n=Doc.CHAR

 It defines the storing of CHAR and VARCHAR in the same manner, though the
VARCHAR data type is provided the extra two bytes for actual length information.

 In neither the CHAR or VARCHAR definitions is it noted that unused space is
filled with nulls or blank data as both are stored as variable length fields
internally within a table.  However, the CHAR data type, as would be expected,
can only store as a maximum, the number of characters that its original
definition set forth.  The VARCHAR field can hold up to over 32,000+ bytes of
data.

 Thus Firebird, does in fact store VARCHAR data within its tables as all other
database engines do,  Its only deviation is that the CHAR field definition is
made variable, similar to a VARCHAR field but only up to the maximum length
initially defined.

 So my understanding of how the VARCHAR field works is correct and what I have
stated earlier.

 Anne Harrison's comments also mirror what this link provides as when either a
CHAR or VARCHAR field is placed in memory than the full lengths of each field
definition type is provided space for.

 The reading suggestions you recommended are what provided the link above to
the IB-Experts site...

 Steve Naidamast
 Sr. Software Engineer

  • Re: [firebird-su... Richard Damon rich...@damon-family.org [firebird-support]