Dale Hankins wrote:
On the pan I have about -130 dbm at peak wit -135 at lows on the hash.,nto
dummy load on receive. There is a little has noise and the scope shows
jaggaed peaks.
That looks quite reasonable with a dummy load. It probably depends on the radio; here I am using the F3000 @96k sampling and get very similar results. I wouldn't call it hash, though. It's just thermal noise. Between -130 and -135dBm on all bands thru 10m with the preamp OFF. About -127 on 6m. A few small spurs, none greater than -125dBm.
What shpuld I expect. I feel this is computer poor supply noise. The fact of
the matter in my neighborhood I very seldom get a low noise level (lower
than s1 on ft 2000) so when I add the antenna I am always ove the -130 dbm.
I just would like to know what I should expect into a dummy load.

That is a key point of course. At my suburban location on my 75m dipole I get about -115dBm, on the tribander on 20m it is about -122dBm and on 10m about -130dBm. So, the radio is not the limiting factor in most cases. Turning on the preamp helps a bit on 10m.

Unless you have some particularly large spikes on the dummy load I would think your receiver is working just fine.

GL & 73,  Alf  NU8I
Scottsdale  AZ  DM43an