Kevin Feeney wrote:
There have been a couple of symptoms, but the one I'm seeing now most consistently is that the radio powers up, and the relays click when I move from band to band, but it doesn't seem to hear anything, or be able to change frequency. By not changing frequency, what I mean is that the numbers in the display change, and the background markers on the panadapter slide one way or the other, but the noise and spurs in the panadapter don't move.

I hadn't used the SDR1000 since I got my F1500, but fired it up today and appear to have the same problem.

To me, this sort of feels like a problem with the Local Oscillator, like I'm not actually injecting the right frequency (or any?) into the mixers. When there are no signals in the passband, I've taken another shack receiver and tried to hear the LO, but don't hear anything near the frequency. I haven't had it come up with signals since I thought of that, so I haven't been able to check for LO then.

That is what it looks like to me. I set the rx to 14.200, and used my HP8640 sig gen to provide a -30dBm source, and swept it from 1 to 60MHz. No sign of any signal on the widest setting of the panadaptor or waterfall. I would think that even if there was a problem on the RFE board there would be enough bleedthrough to at least see something.
I tried it on transmit, and there is no detectable output.
It seems like the DDS has got fried somehow. The way I have the shack set up the SDR1K is a bit difficult to get to, but I'll clear a space, open it up and have a dig around. I have the schematics, but I don't know if any of the test points are accessible.

The rig is the SDR1000-LP which I have had for a few years now, mostly driving transverters and as a piece of test equipment. It has worked flawlessly all this time. Win XP SP3, PSDR 1.8.3, FA-66. I've reset the database, reloaded PSDR, replaced the parallel cable all with no change.

So, before I pull everything apart, are there any suggestions for something I've overlooked? Maybe it is just jealous about the F1500, although it didn't mind when I got the F3000!

73  Alf  NU8I
Scottsdale  AZ  DM43an