On 1/5/2011 11:12 AM, Gary Warner wrote:
Anyone got any good ideas about how to stop RF noise from coming from a plasma TV- seems worst on 75 meter band.

I have two plasma TVs, and one gives out no noise, but the other one causes substantial RF noise. The one that causes the noise is a Pioneer with the TV operated by a separate controller box. I have put ferrite chokes all over the place, but still the noise.

Getting rid of the TV is not an option, and telling my wife to turn it off does not go over real well.

A couple of years ago one of my sons moved back in for a couple of months, and brought a plasma TV with him. I don't recall the make/model. It would generate a huge amount of crud across a large portion of 75m, including our local morning net. Looking at the panadaptor/waterfall it was wide, loud and ugly. All external connections, including antenna, were disconnected and beaucoup ferrets were put on the power cord with no noticeable improvement. It seemed to originate from the set itself, which was at least 100ft from my 75m antenna. The initial solution was to have it turned off when I wanted to listen to the net; the long term solution was to get his wife to take him back in along with the TV. It's now several miles away.

I have a Sharp AQUOS 46" LCD, and have never detected any RF noise from it on any band.

A few kV up the power line should do the trick.

"Looks like it's broke, Dear. I'll go get a new LCD set".

GL & 73,  Alf  NU8I
Scottsdale  AZ  DM43an